For metering ingredients in butter production LEWA offers the following solution:
- Food industry proven LEWA ecoflow or hygienic/sanitary guarantees consistent product quality of various types of butter
- Due to hygienic and efficiency reasons, butter production facilities run on a highly automated level. Since LEWA pumps with their patented M9 technology are highly reliable, nearly maintenance-free, and robust, the process chain barely has to be stopped. The probability of default is extremely small.
- If a diaphragm change is necessary, it can be done quickly and easily
- Even during long running times, which are normal in butter production, the pumps have an accuracy of ± 1 percent
- Due to combination of frequency control and electric stroke adjustment, the pumps can run automatically and flexibly over a wide adjustment range. Thanks to the multiplex technology, various metering tasks can be combined efficiently.
- All materials are suitable for handling foods: e.g. in order to avoid corrosive effects of brine on seals of valves, special materials like Gylon® are used. Furthermore, a trusted supplier delivers PTFE, the material for LEWA’s pump diaphragms. The whole production is monitored continuously by LEWA. Of course, the PTFE is compatible with biological tissues.
- Minimal dead space and smooth stainless steel surfaces 316/316L (1.4401/1.4404) inside the pump facilitate CIP cleaning.
How is butter produced and which kinds exist?
Butter is made from pasteurized cream. Therefore, milk is skimmed in a centrifugal separator within a few seconds. Afterwards, the cream is pasteurized and stored for about 20 hours. In the butter churn, which is comprised of a rod, a cylinder, and a kneader, the cream is beaten, and the butter is separated and kneaded. Then the butter is molded in a molding machine and packaged. In order to make 1 kg of butter, approximately 22 liters of milk are necessary. A byproduct of buttering is butter milk.
There are various types of butter:
Butter made from a fermented cream is known as cultured butter. The aroma that is created through the process gives butter a fresh and nutty taste. Sweet cream butter is made from unfermented cream. To get mild-soured butter, lactic acid is added to fresh cream butter after buttering.
All categories of butter are sold in both salted and unsalted forms. Either granular salt or strong brine are added to salted butter during processing. In addition to enhanced flavor, salt acts as a preservative. For the production of spreadable butter vegetable oil is often incorporated in butter.
Pumps and Systems for the Food and Beverage Industry
LEWA supports producers and plant construction companies in the food and beverage industries with pumps and systems for homogenization and dispersion, as well as for other processing operations in the food industry. We work with you to plan all the important process-related operations, such as conveying, metering, mixing, heating, and cooling so that you can process your raw product cost-effectively.More Details
LEWA ecoflow® diaphragm metering pump
LEWA ecoflow is the innovative and universal metering pump with DPS diaphragm protection system in a tried-and-tested modular system. Suitable for numerous applications, the ecoflow is our real all-around talent, relied on by customers from all industries.More Details
LEWA ecoflow® sanitary/hygienic diaphragm metering pump
LEWA ecoflow is also available in sanitary/hygienic. The metering pump for hygienic applications has the same all-around capabilities and fulfills all specifications for pharmaceutical and food production.More Details
Pomac PDSP double screw pump
Pomac PDSP double-screw pumps are ideally suited for a variety of processes in the food, beverages, cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries. They are extremely economical because they are suitable for conveying and for sterilizing/cleaning (2 in 1).More Details
LEWA triplex® homogenizing pump
The LEWA triplex homogenizing pump offers hermetic diaphragm technology for sensitive ready-to-drink products, infant food, nutraceuticals and enteral nutrition. It is ideally suited for the treatment of demanding fluids in the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries.More Details